Monday, April 11, 2005

A Few Good Fries

A McChronicles Field Reporter offers this position on a recent experience:
............
Went to the Washington Mills, NY drive thru for a quick bite on Wed.
one car ahead of me and went thru very fast.
breakfast - egg & cheese bagel w/ a Coke
The first person who takes the order/money was excellent ...very
pleasant and made the stop a positive overall ... the last person who
fills the order ...didn't say 2 words and gave off an "I hate my job
aura"...and it wasn't busy!


I believe when it comes to driving thru, its the first window guy (the
one who takes your order/money in the dual window system) that is the
crucial key to setting the overall tone of the transaction.
If that individual is pleasant and gives off a good vibe to the
customer, then the next window guy (with the one who gives you the
order) becomes of little consequence.
That person can be un-friendly or get the order wrong, and yet still,
only turn a positive into a neutral experience. It would be extremely
hard to completely override the first window impression.


Reminds me of a movie...
Son, we live in a world that has drive-thrus, and those drive-thrus have
to be guarded by employees with headsets. Who's gonna do it? You? You,
Mr. Customer?


I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly
fathom. You weep for your Egg McMuffin, and you curse the McDonald's. You
have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know - that
the breakfast rush, while hectic, probably saved lives; and my
existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives.


You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk
about at parties, you want me on that window -- you need me on that
window. We use words like "hash brown," "cream," "McGriddle." We use
these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use
them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to
explain myself to a customer who rises and sleeps under the blanket of
the very fast food that I provide and then questions the manner in which
I provide it.


I would rather you just said "thank you" and drove off on
your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a headset and stand the post.
Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

............
Talk about emotions!

No comments: